a
t
i
r
rlcdiver rlcdiver
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am un-sure of how to do this, i can do tri hybrid crosses but i cant really grasp the concept of doing this, thanks!
Read 590 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You're probably just thinking the problem is harder than it is.  Assuming that each of the genes are unlinked, then we can take the probability for each combination of alleles for each gene and then combine them (multiply them) to get a single probability for the particular genotype.  The cross is:

SsYyPpTt  x  SsYYPpTT

and the question is what is the probability of getting an individual whose genotype is SSYYPpTt

So, the probability of getting an SS individual from an Ss x Ss cross is 1/4.  The probability of getting YY from Yy x YY is 1/2.  The probability of getting Pp from Pp x Pp is 1/2.  The probability of getting Tt from Tt x TT is 1/2.  So, the probability of getting an SSYYPpTt individual is:

1/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/32
wrote...
11 years ago
Well it's really simple. The probability that an event will occur is the product of the individual events.

So just take each trait (represented by an alphabet letter) one at a time and calculate the probabillity that it will occur.

For instance

The Chance that the Genotype will get SS in its genotype is based on the parent

So do a dihybrid cross

Ss X Ss = From that you should be able to see that there is a 1/4th chance that SS will be the offspring.

Now move on to the next one

What is the chance that an individual offspring will get YY if his parents are YY * Yy

Okay so sketch another dihybrid cross. There is a 1/2 chance that YY will be produced.

Okay so once you calculate all the other traits chances individually.

Just multiply them and you will get the probability that all those alleles come together to form that one organism.

1/4*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/32 Correction

Check my calculations I just did them in my head.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1282 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293