c
l
e
s
Julia Julia
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Two pea plants heterozygous for the charactors of pod color and pod shape are crossed.  Draw a Punnett square to determine the phenotypic ratios of the off spring.  Explain.
By the way, I hate noob games, I am homeschooled..Slight Smile
Read 1105 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
ya see thats why i hate school because all they do is give you the really hard stuff if you pass a few tests i stoped public school and now im home schooled its way easier srry i dont have a smart answer for you but im only in 8th.
wrote...
12 years ago
If two pea plants are heterozygous, it means they have two different genes for one characteristic - a dominant and a recessive one.  Say that each plant has genes Aa for pod colour and Bb for pod shape.  The capital letter is the dominant letter, so (say a white pod was the dominant pod colour) to be white, the genes would have to be AA or Aa, but to be the recessive colour (say red) you would have to have genes of aa but NOT Aa.  To find the possibilities of the offspring, you need to cross over the different possibilities.

AB             aB            Ab                ab  

AB             AABB       AaBB         AABb            AaBb
aB             AaBB         aaBB         AaBb            aaBb
Ab             AABb        AaBb        AAbb           Aabb
ab             AaBb          aaBb          Aabb            aabb

So, (assuming the dominant pod colour is white and the recessive is red, and that the dominant pod shape is straight and the recessive is curved) the ratio is as follows:
white, straight peas (AABB, AaBB, AABb or AaBb): red straight peas (aaBB or aaBb): white curved peas (AAbb or Aabb): red curved peas (aabb) = 9:3:3:1
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  624 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488