× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
askrav26 askrav26
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
what I mean is times when earths magnetic field is less strong . I saw or read somewhere that the moon at one time was closer to earth.  Are events such as magnetic pole changes (weaker magnetic field) related in any way to any distancing of the moon?
Read 451 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
No relationship between the 2.

Earth's magnetic fields have reversed in the past (the most recent was about 780,000 years ago).
The magnetic field of the Earth is generated by dynamo action in which convection of molten iron in the core generates electric currents which then create magnetic fields.  Most scientists believe that reversals are an inherent aspect of this process.  In simulations, it is observed that magnetic field lines can sometimes become tangled and disorganized through the chaotic motions of liquid metal in the Earth's core.

The moon has been steadily receding from Earth at the rate of about a centimeter a year - it hasn't been an occasional thing that could cause magnetic field fluctuations.
wrote...
11 years ago
No, I don't think there is any scientific evidence, but that's an assumption. That sounds like an excellent research project. Don't assume that what everyone says is true. Even experts make assumptions. Sometimes when some one questions the assumptions that most people make and does their OWN research with an open mind, like Edison or Steve Jobs did in his garage, the world can be changed because just one ONE person questioned what other people assumed.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1146 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?