t
i
r
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
An adolescent who recently moved to a new school in a different town presents to an ambulatory care center and describes the following: “I have no friends in my new school, and I no longer want to go to college. I know I will be lonely there, too.” Which of these takes priority when speaking with the adolescent?
1. Helping the adolescent realize the value of post-secondary education.
2. Promoting healthy mental-health outcomes.
3. Acknowledging the fact that it takes several months to make new friends at a new school due to adolescent exclusion behaviors.
4. Stressing the importance of remaining in a close parent/child relationship during these stressful times.
Read 1012 times
2 Replies
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
1. Helping the adolescent realize the value of post-secondary education.
wrote...
11 years ago
Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: The adolescent is obviously lonely with the move to the new school. The nurse should focus on appropriate coping skills, which will enhance good mental-health outcomes for the child. It would not be appropriate to discuss the importance of a college education at this time, since the adolescent must deal with the loss of friends and developing new friendships first. The parent/child relationship should not be used as a substitute for the development of new peer relationships.
Rationale 2: The adolescent is obviously lonely with the move to the new school. The nurse should focus on appropriate coping skills, which will enhance good mental-health outcomes for the child. It would not be appropriate to discuss the importance of a college education at this time, since the adolescent must deal with the loss of friends and developing new friendships first. The parent/child relationship should not be used as a substitute for the development of new peer relationships.
Rationale 3: The adolescent is obviously lonely with the move to the new school. The nurse should focus on appropriate coping skills, which will enhance good mental-health outcomes for the child. It would not be appropriate to discuss the importance of a college education at this time, since the adolescent must deal with the loss of friends and developing new friendships first. The parent/child relationship should not be used as a substitute for the development of new peer relationships.
Rationale 4: The adolescent is obviously lonely with the move to the new school. The nurse should focus on appropriate coping skills, which will enhance good mental-health outcomes for the child. It would not be appropriate to discuss the importance of a college education at this time, since the adolescent must deal with the loss of friends and developing new friendships first. The parent/child relationship should not be used as a substitute for the development of new peer relationships.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1240 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352