t
i
r
r
Fireman 23 Fireman 23
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I've always wanted to be a doctor and possibly a Heart and Lung Transplant one. However, I realized that there are only 2,200 heart transplants done in the US every year. Are there a lot of transplant surgeons? How many Heart Transplant surgeons are there? Thanks in advance!
Read 446 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You can call a Heart/Lung transplant surgeon a Cardiothoracic surgeon for simplicity's sake. Face with Stuck-out Tongue

Quite frankly, there are very few.  Not sure on the numbers, but let me tell you why are there are very few:

1) 4 years of College with top notch grades - Required.
2) 4 years of Medical school with top notch USMLE scores - Required.
3) 5 years of a general surgery residency - Required.
4) ~2 years of Cardiothoracic surgery residency - Required.
5) 1-2 years of Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship (i.e. you can specialize in adult or child cardiothoracic surgery or heart transplants) - Required for heart transplanting.
6) Beginning with step 2, you will suffer grueling grueling GRUELING study nights/late calls/horrible residents that treat you like trash/and then working ~80hrs/week averaging ~$12/hour.
7) Cardiothoracic residencies are VERY COMPETITIVE and only a handful of people make it.  For example, at UCLA, about 2 doctors per year are accepted into the Cardiothoracic residency program.  

Beginning with step 3 above, you'll start off making ~35K and it'll go up as the years go by.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1385 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293