c
p
n
C
z
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
I need help, my teacher isn't one with patience. He explains it once and expects us to get it. Please help me. Frowning Face
Read 700 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Well, this is a basic thing in chem that should be gone over well...shame on your teacher.

anyways, the first step is to look at what elements you are dealing with. If you have a gas, the element will usually come in pairs like H2 or Cl2 or F2, etc. Solids come in singles, like Fe, Cu, Al, Ti, etc.

Then, count how many of each element there are. Usually, you would start from the left and work over to the right. This works alot easier with polyatomic ions like SO4 or OH or NO3 etc. because they work like one atom, so counting the elements individually isnt really necessary.

The last step is making sure that you have the same amount of elements on each side.

Sorry, but I dont have an example for you, but try to apply these steps to one of yours.
wrote...
11 years ago
okay so you need to make sure the left side is equal to the right side, same amount of each thing on either side.

so you add numbers in front (coefficients) infront of the elements to try to equal them to the other side of the equatiion, keeping in mind the subscrips the other elements may have.
goodluck!
wrote...
11 years ago

Write the unbalanced equation.

Chemical formulas of reactants are listed on the lefthand side of the equation.
        Products are listed on the righthand side of the equation.
        Reactants and products are separated by putting an arrow between them to show the direction of the reaction. Reactions at equilibrium will have arrows facing both directions.

Balance the equation.

Apply the Law of Conservation of Mass to get the same number of atoms of every element on each side of the equation. Tip: Start by balancing an element that appears in only one reactant and product.
        Once one element is balanced, proceed to balance another, and another, until all elements are balanced.
        Balance chemical formulas by placing coefficients in front of them. Do not add subscripts, because this will change the formulas.

Indicate the states of matter of the reactants and products.

Use (g) for gaseous substances.
        Use (s) for solids.
        Use (l) for liquids.
        Use (aq) for species in solution in water.
        Write the state of matter immediately following the formula of the substance it describes.
Thanhcong
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  937 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion