t
i
r
Jessicuh84 Jessicuh84
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need help with the following question:

3. As noted in the Exercise Overview, the average hematocrit for males is 42-52%, the average hematocrit for females is 37-47%, and erythropoietin is a hormone that is responsible for the synthesis of RBC's. Given this information, explain how a female could have a consistent hematocrit of 48, large, well-defined skeletal muscles, and an abnormally deep voice.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

THANKS
Read 4017 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
The hematocrit is calculated by dividing the height of the RBC layer by the total height of the blood and multiplying by 100%. The resulting percentage is the portion of the blood that contains RBCs.

The buffy coat contains a layer of white blood cells which are lighter than the red blood cells and therefore end up in between the red blood cells and the plasma after centrifugation.

The individual described has a hematocrit that is slightly higher than normal. Given the effects of testosterone, this individual probably has higher than normal levels of testosterone for her gender.
karlaymendoza,  Elmira
Jessicuh84 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you so much. It is very appreciated. Helps a lot!  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1297 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586