a
t
i
r
smokebomb13 smokebomb13
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I am doing a report on this, but I can't find any good info. Does anyone know the similarities and differences between them? And also, can you please site your sources? I'm going to need them. Thanks!
Read 1001 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Basically, 'rocks' is a very general term (even more so than 'minerals'), but the major identifier is that minerals are the same thing all the way through. rocks are made of two or more minerals, while minerals are only themselves. I found a source website that I think might help with what you're looking for.
Answer accepted by topic starter
SmokeyV4LSmokeyV4L
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
both form natural, difference is minerals make up rocks, both must be solid

granite (rock)=feldspar (pink)+biote+quartz+hornblende
diorite (rock)=hornblende+feldspar (white)

minerals have exact hardness, rocks vary
wrote...
11 years ago
A mineral has an ordered atomic structure that belongs to one of six different crystal systems: isometric, hexagonal, orthorhombic, rhombohedral, tetragonal, monoclinic, triclinic.

Beryl Mineral Data  General Beryl Information. Help on Chemical Formula: Chemical Formula: Be3Al2Si6O18. Help on Composition: Composition: Molecular Weight = 537.50 gm ...
webmineral.com/data/Beryl.shtml - Cached - Similar

A rock is composed of minerals, Minerals can either crystallize fractionally as magma slowly cools over long periods of time or quickly as lava is erupted and cools, and they can be produced and precipitated by organisms. Calcite, aragonite, both CaCO3 crystals (aragonite is triclinic, and can collapse into calcite, a more stable monoclinic crystal) and silica, SiO2 are precipitated by organisms. SiO2 is quartz. There are three types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. There are various degrees of metamorphism, but metamorphism is basically a process of subjecting a rock of any type to enough heat and pressure over a long period of time that minerals in those rocks, including water, undergo chemical reactions to form some new minerals with different physical properties like hardness. Limestone becomes marble when it is metamorphosed, sandstone becomes quartzite.  

Sorry I don't have more sources, but you have Google available. I didn't when I was working on my bachelor's in geology.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1248 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370