× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
firebird39 firebird39
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a lab question for a chemistry course.
Specifically, what has a greater effect on the concentration of FE(NCS)+2?  Dilution, or equilibrium shift considering the following:
I have 3mL of Fe(NCS)2+ in an aqueous solution at equilibrium. (Other side of the equilibrium is Fe3+ + SCN-)
I add 80 mL d.i. water and dilute it.
This also shifts the equilibrium in the direction of the ions.
Additional note from the lab manual - Consider any disturbance to an equilibrium and the extent of the response to the stress relative to the original stress.

It feels like the dilution due to adding water would have the greatest effect on the concentration, but I don't have a good scientific explanation for why.

Can anyone explain it to me?  Thanks.
Read 489 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It is not clear to me what the constraints are for stresses. Can you add any stress you want? I'll answer your question assuming you have full liberties.

If you think mathematically you could calculate the change for a few hypothertical situations and see which would be more. To compare you could calculate the % of the complex ion that breaks apart into the iron and thiocyanate.

If you want to approach it qualitatively you want to think about things like precipitating out an ion, removing it completely from equlibrium and see how far you could get the equilibrium to shift in the direction to replace that ion (this is usually limitless). Or you could add a common ion and see how that shifts the equilibrium to the opposite side of the equation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1277 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4