a
t
i
r
NYC23 NYC23
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I can't afford the Vytorin that I take for my cholesterol. Just looking for other alternatives.
Read 429 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Very high in anti-oxidants, like 100 times as much as blueberries, which are way ahead of everything else.

I have not heard that, but a low fat diet is very good also.  The very low fat diet may be better than either.

Anti-oxidants help prevent bad cholesterol from becoming tied into plaques and building bigger blockages.

Here is a couple abstracts from research studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15158307&ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16626982&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus
wrote...
11 years ago
I know that it is good for digestion & rural areas I was told that the leaf extrcat is taken whenever severe stomch upset is there.As a fruit it is certainly good food But how good for reducing cholesteror needs to be known from dietition.

Following is some information available in net:

Food Value Per 100 g of Edible Portion*  
Calories 63-78
Moisture 72.6-86.4 g
Protein 0.05-1.6 g
Fat Trace only to 0.9 g
Carbohydrates 15.4-19.6 g
Fiber 3.4-5.0 g
Ash 0.36-0.73 g
Calcium 3-12 mg
Phosphorus 8-37 mg
Iron 0.3-1.2 mg
Sodium 3 mg
Potassium 259 mg
Carotene None to Trace
Thiamine 0.003 mg
Riboflavin 0.012-0.03 mg
Niacin 0.180-0.3 mg
Ascorbic Acid 4-4.2 mg
Citric Acid 0.46-3.6 mg
Boric Acid 0.005 mg
*Analyses of fresh juice sacs made by various investigators.

Medicinal Uses: The juice of wild pomegranates yields citric acid and sodium citrate for pharmaceutical purposes. Pomegranate juice enters into preparations for treating dyspepsia and is considered beneficial in leprosy.

The bark of the stem and root contains several alkaloids including isopelletierine which is active against tapeworms. Either a decoction of the bark, which is very bitter, or the safer, insoluble Pelletierine Tannate may be employed. Overdoses are emetic and purgative, produce dilation of pupila, dimness of sight, muscular weakness and paralysis.

Because of their tannin content, extracts of the bark, leaves, immature fruit and fruit rind have been given as astringents to halt diarrhea, dysentery and hemorrhages. Dried, pulverized flower buds are employed as a remedy for bronchitis. In Mexico, a decoction of the flowers is gargled to relieve oral and throat inflammation. Leaves, seeds, roots and bark have displayed hypotensive, antispasmodic and anthelmintic activity in bioassay
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1282 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586