j
F
a
u
o
linda linda
wrote...
12 years ago
Can somebody show me how to read the electrophoresis gel for the enzyme Hind III and Bgl II. The distance migrated in mm.
Size/Distance Migrated (mm)
23kb/?
9.4kb/?
6.6kb/?
4.4kb/?
2.3kb/?
2.0kb/?
0.6kb/?

Maybe read the ones for Hind III and I'll see if I could read the ones for Bgl II to practice.? thnx!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
Read 1921 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
12 years ago
Which lane is the standard?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Which lane is the standard?

What are your DNA molecular weight markers, are they 23kb, 9.4kb, 6.6kb, etc...
linda Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Yes, my standard marker are those sizes. And the standard marker is Hind III. My experimental sample would be Bgl II.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
It looks like you have three prominent bands, good job. Now all you have to do is extrapolate the distance by plotting the standard markers on a graph. On a piece of semi-log graph paper, plot the log of the molecular weight each standard vs. distance traveled from the well (based on measurements made from the picture of the gel). Draw a line connecting the points (although the line won't be linear). From this you should be able to determine the molecular size of the linearized plasmid.

If you have questions on how to do this, reply back, I will upload a step-by-step tutorial.
linda Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Actually, I was asking how to read it. For the HindIII I mean. It would be great if anybody could show me this.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Actually, I was asking how to read it. For the HindIII I mean. It would be great if anybody could show me this.

Hi Linda, the further down it travels, the lighter the band is, whereas the heavier it is, it will be closest to the top.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
linda Author
wrote...
12 years ago
can you give me an example on how the first one is read so I have an idea how.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
can you give me an example on how the first one is read so I have an idea how.

Sure, for HindIII, you have 7 bands, with the 7th one being closest to the bottom. You said your experimental sample is Bgl III. Now because the marker has 7 bands:

23kb
9.4kb
6.6kb
4.4kb
2.3kb
2.0kb
0.6kb

The one closest to the bottom is: 0.6 kb. If you look at BgIII, you have one very close to the bottom one as well, so we can extrapolate and say it too is 0.6 kb. The band is very light, but it's still visible. Do you see it Neutral Face Now look at the 5th band of the HindIII marker (2.3kb) [Start counting from the top]. In comparison to the 4th band of the BgIII (second band closest to the bottom), it's very similar in distance, so we can say it's the same.

Make sense Lind?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1040 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4