a
t
i
r
098741 098741
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
My mother carries tuberculosis, and I've recently got the PPD test to be able to volunteer at my local hospital this summer. I'm 99% sure the test is positive. And I was doing research and read it was airbrone. If so, how is everyone not infected with tuberculosis or have latent TB?
Read 489 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
TB is is air born, but you are only contagious when you have active TB.  The billions of people in the world with latent TB aren't contagious.  Your immune system walls off the colonies of bacteria in little granules.  

Also, it is a disease that sometimes your immune system can fight off on it's own, and sometimes not.  Lots of people may get infected, get over it, and never even find out.  

Also, a few decades ago the government launched a very effective (and expensive) effort to control TB. It is usually curable.  

The standard TB test tests for antibodies your body makes o fight TB.  Anyone who has ever had TB will test positive, even if they no longer have it. If you test positive, they'd want to do alung X-ray to see if you actually have TB now.  

If you test positive TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!  This can usually be cured.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1215 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370