s
a
t
i
r
gamingwings gamingwings
wrote...
13 years ago
Pb(NO_3)_2 (aq) + 2Kl (aq) -> Pbl_2 (s) + 2KNO_3 (aq)
What is correct net equation?
If could go step by step really would be helpful, as always thanks for the help, maybe when I get more used to biology, I can start helping out others too!
Read 1242 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey gamingwing, I wrote a tutorial for you to follow. If you still can't get the answer after this, reply back!

A net Ionic Equation is a chemical equation for a reaction which lists only those species participating in the reaction.

To write a Net Ionic Reaction, follow these 3 steps:

1) Start by simply writing the overall balanced chemical reaction. This is also called the Molecular Equation.

2) Then, you break apart the soluble molecules into the two ions that are formed (one positive and one negative). You will have to use the solubility rules to do this, they can be found online. If something is insoluble, it should not be broken apart. Write the reaction out with all of the separated ions. This is called the Total Ionic Equation.

3) Then, you simplify by canceling things out if they appear on both sides of the reaction, resulting in the Net Ionic Equation.

For example, let look at the reaction of calcium carbonate with hydrochloric acid to form calcium chloride, water, and carbon dioxide:

--Molecular Equation:

CaCO3(s) + 2HCl(aq) ---> CaCl2(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

--Total Ionic Equation:

CaCO3(s) + 2H+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) ---> Ca2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

--Net Ionic Equation:

CaCO3(s) + 2H+(aq) ---> Ca2+(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

Notice that the Cl- was canceled out from the Net Ionic Equation, because it really isn't playing an important part of this reaction. It is just there to balance out the charge because you can't have an ion just by itself -- you must alway pair an ion with another one of opposite charge so that the overall charge is zero.
gamingwings Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thankyou chemb.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1323 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?