× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
g
omgwtfitsp omgwtfitsp
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm reading a journal article on whole-genome sequencing and I dont know how to look at the PCA graph they have in the figures.

It says that PCA reveals continental and population specific patterns of genetic variation

PC1 - distinguishes Africans from non africans
PC2 - distinguishes Asians and Europeans

In the figure, there's just clusters of spots, some labelled to the hunter gathere population thats from the study, and other grey spots represented by non african.

What does the graph show though? I'm having a hard time understanding. Any help from someone with more experience would be grateful, I am only in 2nd year and we're given an assignment of reading this crazy journal article.
Read 893 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
In the figure, there's just clusters of spots, some labelled to the hunter gathere population thats from the study, and other grey spots represented by non african.

Do you have a screenshot of the graph?
omgwtfitsp Author
wrote...
11 years ago
yes here it is
 Attached file 
(276.97 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
11 years ago
Your question is a little vague and your link doesn't work. Are you referring to protein convertase or just some I haplogroup tables. Which pc1 and pc2?
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
yes here it is

PC1 separates Africans from the other populations, PC2 divides Asians from Europeans and Africans, whilst PC3 splits Central Asians apart from South Asians.

We'd need to read the article and understand what the axes mean. I'm not sure why you're reluctant to post the article. Here's an article that might help you make sense of the graph.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  899 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 19
Closes: November 4