a
t
i
r
carleyd carleyd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need help making a 3D model of a section of the cell membrance. I need 2 layers of lipids showing hydrophilic and hydophobic end, cholesterol, carbohydrate chain, protein channels, receptor proteins, cytoskelton, and must sho selective permeability...HELP! Neutral Face
Read 3060 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi Carley, I've seen this made in the past. Follow these steps:

1. Slice a segment from the Styrofoam sphere to create a cross-section. Use the knife to cut halfway through the sphere from the top to middle. Join that incision by cutting halfway through the sphere from the side to middle. Release the segment. The cut-out segment should create a void in the sphere that represents about 25 percent or 1/4 the size of the complete sphere.

2. With the exposed core of the cell facing to the side, place three or four toothpicks in the bottle of the Styrofoam sphere. This will create a stand for your cell model, and keep it from rolling.

3. Paint the outside portion of the cell one color of your choice. This outer layer of your cell represents the cell membrane. Paint the inside of the cell a different color. This inner color will represent the cytoplasm.

4. Use hot glue to adhere the bouncy ball into the middle of the inside of the cell model. This will represent the cell's nucleus. Paint dots on the outside of the ball to simulate nuclear pores.

5. Hot-glue four to five kidney beans in the cytoplasm to represent the mitochondria, or powerhouse of the cell. Paint swirls on the kidney beans to represent the cristae, or inner matrix of the mitochondria.

6. Roll clay into two thin snakes about 3 inches long, and hot-glue each snake in a squiggly pattern within the cytoplasm of the cell model. These will represent the Golgi bodies of the cell.

7. Hot-glue small buttons in the cytoplasm of the cell to represent vacuoles and lysosomes. Paint all the vacuoles one color, and the lysosomes another, to differentiate between the two organelles.

8. Create two small pancake shapes from two different colors of clay. Affix each shape to the cytoplasm of the model using hot glue. These will represent the rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulum. To differentiate between the two, paint spots on the rough endoplasmic reticulum to simulate ribosomes.

To label all of your organelles on your 3D model, create flags from small pieces of paper and toothpicks. Write the name of the organelle on the flag and stick it into the corresponding model
wrote...
11 years ago
Here are some models shown below Slight Smile
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
waynemel
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1285 People Browsing
Related Images