a
t
i
r
michellewelty michellewelty
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
if the diploid number of chromosomes for a cow is 60. what is the haploid number of chromosomes?
What is the ploidy for this organism? (i know that, Ploidy is the number of unique chromosomes for a particular gene, but how can i determine this number with the information given?)
Read 378 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
2n (diploid) is 60
n ( haploid) is 30

There are thirty unique copies of cow chromosome, a typical diploid cow cell would contain 60 chromosomes. 2 copies of each unique chromosome.
wrote...
11 years ago
Ok, lets see if I can help you out.  Plody refers to the number of set of chromosome an organism has. Sexually reproducing organisms receive two sets of DNA when the sex cells combine during fertilization.  Each sex cell contains one set of chromosomes and it is said to be haploid (1n).  The number of chromosomes that are in one set of chromosomes depends on the species of organisms.  For humans it is 23 chromosomes.  When the sperm fertilizes the egg the zygote now has two sets of chromosomes and it is said to be diploid (2n).  The dipolid number of chromosomes in humans is 46, two sets of 23 chromosomes.  So if the cow's diploid number (2n) is 60 then its haploid number would be 30 chromosomes.  So the cow's sex cell contain 30 chromosomes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372