f
a
d
c
leo226 leo226
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm doing a electricity vocab for science.  I need to define voltage and current, but I can't find it in my book, and the online definitions make no sense.  Any understandable definition I can use?
Read 220 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I = E/R   P= EI
wrote...
11 years ago
I amp of current is 1 coulomb of electrons passing a point in one second. Think of it like water in a river. The current is the water flowing down the river. You would measure the current flow of the river by calculating how much water passed a point along the river in a certain amout of time.

Voltage the pressure that causes the current to flow. In the river it would be how high the river is above sea level.

Resistance is what limits current flow. Otherwise all the current would happen at once. this would be similar to the width and depth of the river.

the relation ship is voltage equals resistance times current (E=I*R) or current equals voltage divided by resistance I=E/R.
wrote...
11 years ago
Current is the charge that flows by a given point in a given time period. Normally we measure this in ampere's which are Coulombs/second. (i.e. the number of electrons going past a point per second.) Note that current is absolute in that we pick a point on the circuit an the current at that point is what we measure.

Voltage represents the work it takes to move charge from one part of the the circuit to another. Note that unlike current, it is not absolute but depends on where you are referencing the voltage. So point A may be 5V referenced to ground, but a different voltage when referenced to a different part of the circuit (like the battery for example.)
wrote...
11 years ago
I think you're just after a  simple explanation.
VOLTAGE is PRESSURE. It can be likened to pressure in a water pipe, when no water is flowing (the tap is shut).
CURRENT is the FLOW RATE of electricity, like the amount of water coming out when the tap is turned on.
The flow rate depends on the PRESSURE driving it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  999 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?