f
a
d
c
Kara31191 Kara31191
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
This process is called transvection, if one chromosome contains an enhancer while the gene it regulates in on another chromosome if they come into close proximity the enhancer will regulate the expression of the gene. one way to test this is to make two transgenes, one that contain a wild type and another that contains a mutant enhancer. You would put these two transgenes into a strain that contains a reporter gene. If the wild type enhancer regulates the reporter gene on'\ a separate transgene than you have proven the concept of transvection.

What would you use as a control for this experiment???

This is the original thread: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=35239.0
Read 1286 times
4 Replies
-Kara

Finishing undergraduate studies in Biology at the University of New Hampshire. Taking Genetics and Immunology online through the UC Berkeley Extension Program.

DVM to be... In the application process of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. Wish me luck!

Thank you!

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Instead of two transgenes, why not simply one?
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, Alexx
I think the control shall be the strain with the mutant enchanter. The mutant enchanter won't work, so it will be unable to regulate the reporter gene. That means that the one strain (with the mutant enchanter) won't transcript the reporter gene. That should be the control of the experiment, because it will mean that the transcription of the gene at the other strain (with the wild enchanter) is caused because of the transvection (the wild enchanter regulates the reporter gene)
Post Merge: 11 years ago

Instead of two transgenes, why not simply one?
I guess that's why we use two transgenes.
(one with the mutant/disabled enchanter and one with the wild/active enchanter)
Kara31191 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Mutant enhancer, right?
Post Merge: 11 years ago

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
-Kara

Finishing undergraduate studies in Biology at the University of New Hampshire. Taking Genetics and Immunology online through the UC Berkeley Extension Program.

DVM to be... In the application process of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. Wish me luck!

Thank you!
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago
Mutant enhancer, right?

Exactly. Because it doesn't work.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1048 People Browsing
Related Images