t
m
p
m
arlette1031 arlette1031
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am currently teaching Linear Algebra and as you all know Linear Algebra is half theory and half applications. I am just curious how deep you all go into the theory. For a lot of students, this there first "real" math class, meaning that they have never had a class involving proofs. How much theory do you cover in your Linear Algebra class and do you know any good reference books that gives an introduction of how to understand mathematical proofs. If you are student I would also like to hear your perspective on this matter.
Read 474 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
As someone who has taught this class in the past, it's difficult to put too much theory at the students. Nonetheless, I expose the students to the vector space axioms and emphasize that there are other examples of vectors out there besides the "arrows" in R^n.

I still have them do basic  basis, vector subspace, and linear transformation proofs. I do sneak at least one polynomial vector space problem in there from time to time to break up the R^n "monotony". Finally, I have the students do basic eigenvalue/ eigenvector proofs (the computational ones that can be done in a few lines). It's very difficult to have them do purely logical paragraph proofs at this early stage; so I stick to more "computational" proofs as a way to transition them into this kind of thinking.

I hope that addresses your questions. Have fun!
wrote...
11 years ago
I hardly paid attention to my Algebra I class two years ago, my parents taught me how to do linear algebra.  Simply tell them about rise over run, how lines go up when they're positive and down when negative.  How to interpret a linear equation in all their forms.  Also those mathemaical proofs you're talking about are pretty much logic and order of operations imo.  They're going to hate you later if you call those proofs now, what will  they call proofs in Geometry D:  ALgebra is a piece of cake, just make sure they learn all the correct ways to map a graph and solve an equation and they'll be fine.  My teacher used to make cheezy jokes about graphing as well, it helps sometimes definitely when you start graphing more than just parabolas and hyperbolas.  What do you mean theory and applications... Teach them how all of it works by giving them problems to solve, that's the best way to prepare people.  Also most text books that schools use should be sufficient, I find Holt to be pretty good.  Borrowing a random book from the library shouldn't do much harm though, most text books are all the same.
atd
wrote...
11 years ago
Exactly, many students hate proofs,i usually gave 60% theory
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1015 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820