t
m
p
m
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
The nurse is teaching a patient who has a diagnosis of hypothyroidism about the importance of dietary fiber. The nurse realizes the patient understands teaching when the patient states which of the following? Select all that apply.
Standard Text: Select all that apply.
1. “I will drink a full glass of water with my fiber pill each morning.”
2. “I will snack on popcorn rather than potato chips.”
3. “I will take an over-the-counter fiber pill each morning with my levothyroxine.”
4. “I will increase my intake of protein sources such as meat and eggs.”
5. “I will read the nutrition labels and choose foods with high carbohydrate content.”
Read 508 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1,2 -- A full glass of water should be taken with fiber tablets to decrease the risk of intestinal blockage. Popcorn is a high-fiber food and an appropriate choice for a patient who needs a high-fiber diet. The patient should not ingest a high-fiber source at the same time that thyroid replacement medications are taken, as the fiber will interfere with absorption of the thyroid replacement medication. Meat and eggs are not good sources of fiber. This patient should look for fiber content on labels rather than carbohydrate content.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  942 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?