a
t
i
r
r
sholland90 sholland90
wrote...
12 years ago
This week as we cover skeletal and muscular systems I would like for each of you to do something different. Try a new workout and tell us about it.
Try a new class (yoga, salsa dancing, kickboxing, spinning, or pilates for example) or new activity. Why did you choose this workout/event? What muscles/areas of the body did this class focus on? What are things you liked about it? What are things you did not like? If you were to continue this class/event what are goals you hope this class would help you to achieve? Would you recommend this workout to anyone?
Was the workout aerobic? Was it anaerobic? Was it a mixture? Did you do mostly isometric or isotonic contractions?
Get out of your comfort zone and share with us your experience and do some research on the activity to share with the rest of your classmates. Hopefully this will be fun, and allow us to learn a bit more about the muscular and skeletal systems with a new workout/twist.

Help? Thanks!
Read 2171 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 700 words.
jenjenlimb
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science

Related Topics

wrote...
Donated
12 years ago

For the last several weeks I have been doing a different type of workout than I usually do and it is because I am getting ready for 2 separate physicals. The physical is for a job with my local Sheriff department in 2 different counties and it consists of:

300 Meter sprint in 71 seconds or less
Run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes and 28 seconds
25 Pushups (minimum)
29 Sit-ups in a minute

Before testing myself in these exercises, I thought this will be soo easy; I got this! And for the most part, I had it. But, what really came as a shock to me was the pushups and running outside. In my own initial test, I could only do 15 pushups and running outside on concrete gave me horrible shin splits. I couldn’t believe it and thought how in the heck am I going get to 25 pushups in such a short period of time (3 weeks) and my shins are on FIRE! How am I suppose to run when I can’t even walk?! The rest of the test I could do in my initial testing, but I wanted to improve times and numbers.

Prior to getting ready for these physicals I have always done weight lifting, cardio and occasionally yoga. I weight lifted 5 days a week and did cardio on an elliptical or stairmaster 2-3 days a week. I followed a very strict routine and never missed a day. So when I couldn’t do all the pushups and really had to work at 29 sit-ups and improving my run times, I was put back into place. I grew an appreciation of the test and began to love and hate it, all at the same time.  I began doing pushups and sit-ups every other day, alternating the two; increasing numbers each day. Running everyday…outside and on a treadmill. I have a history of getting shin splits because my feet have collapsed arches that require orthotics. I have been avoiding running outside or on the treadmill for this reason; however, I had never had them this bad before.

This routine uses ALL kinds of muscles. The sprinting uses your gluteus maximus, hamstrings, quadriceps femoris, iliopsoas, calves, triceps, biceps and shoulders (spryfeet.com, 2011).  This is an aerobic exercise. My goal was to finish this in 50 seconds and I have achieved that goal. I definitely did not like doing this exercise. You basically run as fast and as hard as you can… pretty much till you feel like you may throw up. Which is not any fun.

The mile and a half running uses your gluteus maximus, hamstrings, quadriceps femoris, iliopsoas, calves, biceps, upper and lower abdominals and the external and internal intercostals (spryfeet, 2011).  This is an aerobic exercise and I do enjoy this. Once I figured out how to control my shin splits, this was very enjoyable for me. I had to get new shoes designed to help people with collapsed arches and who have to have orthotics in their shoes and I had to also get compression sleeves for my calves. The combination of those, ice and elevation, my shins were healing quickly. I also taped my shins on the day of my first physical; they did not hurt at all. My goal was to decrease my total time. When I first started I was running it in 14:26 and I set a goal of 13:00. I have achieved this goal.

The pushups use pectoralis major, triceps, deltoids, serratus anterior and coracobrachialis (livestrong.com, 2011). This is an isotonic exercise. My goal was to get to 25 pushups and I have achieved that. 

The sit-ups use your iliopsoas and abdominals. This is also an isotonic exercise. My goal was to do at least 30 in a minute; I have achieved that goal.

I have finished one physical and am awaiting the other. On the day of my physical I was more nervous than the day I got married! My heart rate was out of this world! It was a HUGE relief when I passed the physical. But, I have one more to complete. Cross your fingers for me!

Overall I have enjoyed doing this routine, however I am missing the weight lifting. But, it proved to me that I was not using a lot of muscles. My whole body was pretty much sore the first week of this routine. Just goes to show the importance of switching up your exercises and doing new routines. 

References

Muscles Used When Running. (n.d.). SpryFeet.com — Happiness for Endurance Runners and Walkers. Retrieved April 21, 2011, from http://www.spryfeet.com/2010/04/05/muscles-used-when-running/.

What Muscles Are Used In Push-up Exercises? | LIVESTRONG.COM. (n.d.). LIVESTRONG.COM - Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition & Fitness Tools. Retrieved April 21, 2011, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/17377-muscles-used-pushup-exercises/.
jenjenlimb,  methoo
sholland90 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Hi, here's a little article to get you started:

What is Anaerobic Exercise?

While “aerobic” means “with oxygen,” anaerobic means “without air" or "without oxygen." Anaerobic exercise is short-lasting, high-intensity activity, where your body’s demand for oxygen exceeds the oxygen supply available. Anaerobic exercise relies on energy sources that are stored in the muscles and, unlike aerobic exercise, is not dependent on oxygen from (breathing) the air. Examples of anaerobic exercise include: heavy weight-lifting, all types of sprints (running, biking, etc.), jumping rope, hill climbing, interval training, isometrics, or any rapid burst of hard exercise.

What are the Benefits of Anaerobic Exercise?

Anaerobic exercise uses your muscles at a high intensity for a short period of time. As a result, it can help:

• Develop stronger muscles
  • Improve your VO2 max (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus improve your cardio-respiratory fitness
  • Increase your capacity to withstand the buildup of waste substances (such as lactic acid) and remove them from the body. This means your endurance and ability to fight fatigue will improve.

Overall, anaerobic exercise burns fewer calories than does aerobic exercise and may be somewhat less beneficial for cardiovascular fitness. However, it is better at building strength and muscle mass and still benefits the heart and lungs. In the long run, increased muscle mass helps a person become leaner and manage his weight, because muscle uses large amounts of calories.

How Does Anaerobic Exercise Work?

When you begin to work out vigorously, there is a temporary shortage of oxygen being delivered to the working muscles. Lactic acid is a by-product of producing energy anaerobically. When lactic acid accumulates at high levels in the blood, it causes muscular fatigue. This is why anaerobic exercises cannot last very long.

But with training, the body becomes better equipped to handle lactic acid. Several efficient changes occur that result in decreased production of lactic acid and increased removal of it from the bloodstream. The body also produces “buffers” that delay the onset of fatigue during anaerobic exercise. Studies have shown that with anaerobic training, the muscle’s buffering capacity is increased by 12% to 50%. With this increased buffering capacity, more lactic acid can accumulate during high intensity exercise without causing fatigue.

How to Add Anaerobic Training to Your Program

Anaerobic interval training is primarily reserved for those who are very fit and desire to increase speed, lactate threshold, and overall aerobic power. Such training usually results in greater lactic acid concentrations in exercising muscles and is accompanied by greater muscular discomfort. This can be a very intense type of training and should not be attempted by a beginning exerciser. Before you train anaerobically, always do a considerable aerobic warm up first, and stretch before and after vigorous activity.

Interval training is a great way to incorporate anaerobic exercise. It can be done with many types of exercise (for example, running, biking, or swimming). An interval is done by increasing your pace for a short period of time (for example, between 10 to 60 seconds) then having a slow recovery period that is at least 3 times as long as the interval. Learn more about basic interval training and a more advanced form known as High Intensity Interval Training.

• If you are new to exercise, do not immediately start with high intensity activity like anaerobic exercise. Beginners should start with lower-intensity aerobic exercise for several weeks to build a base level of fitness.
  • Always check with your doctor before adding anaerobic exercise to your fitness program.
Anaerobic exercise is not recommended if you are pregnant.
  • Always warm up before starting any anaerobic exercise, and cool down for 5-10 minutes after your workout session.
Duddy, where did you find this? Thanks!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1137 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370