s
a
t
i
r
tonyal tonyal
wrote...
11 years ago
Should I major in Biology, Medicinal Chemistry or Biochemistry? Which major would help me study medicine or become a doctor or have the most career opportunities? I understand any biology or chemistry major is acceptable as long as I am accepted to Medical School, but I'm more worried with the career opportunities? Any advice?
Read 776 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Students interested in a career as a Doctor of Osteopathy, Medical Doctor, or Physician will need to complete a bachelor's degree including the pre-requisite courses desired by medical schools. Students should consult with the Pre-medical Adviser as early as possible in their college career.  
The minimum recommendations of the American Medical Association currently includes the following courses
BI 101, 102  General Biology I, II
BI 202, 203
or BI 205, 206  Animal Anatomy, Animal Physiology
or Human Anatomy, Human Physiology
CH 101, 102  Modern Chemical Concepts I, II
CH 201, 202  Organic Chemistry I, IIPH 201, 202
or PH 211, 212  Fundamental Concepts of Physics I, II
or Conceptual Physics I, II
MA 201  Calculus I
(Calculus is required by some, but not all, medical and professional schools)

Satisfactory performance on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required.  The MCAT is normally taken in the spring of the junior year or the summer prior to the senior year for students planning to enter medical school immediately following graduation.
In addition to the minimum science courses, a strong background in the liberal arts and social sciences is recommended, as is volunteer work or internship in a medical setting.  Proficiency in the Spanish language, course work in bioethics and study abroad are all considered favorably by professional schools.
Other courses highly recommended as electives include:
BI 204  Genetics

BI 325  Cell Biology

BI 317  Developmental Biology

BI 327  Histology

BI 333  Molecular Biology

Ch 203  Equilibrium and Analysis

CH 303  Biochemistry
wrote...
11 years ago
I personally would major in biology.  I planned to go to med school after undergrad, but plans changed for a few years and I am glad that I had that biology degree.  I was able to get a job in research until I was ready for med school.  I think that the upper level biologies will better prepare you for med school.  Check the prereqs for some of the med schools that you want to apply to.  Most of the courses, aside from chem and organic chem, are upper level biology courses.  Good luck!
wrote...
11 years ago
Major in whatever you love.  Med school take people with any major.  I majored in psych (fewer labs!) and was accepted to several medical schools.

A biology major is fairly useless unless you plan to go on for more education, or want to teach science.  My cousin is working on her PhD now, after majoring in Bio.  She's 28, and very educated, but not very employable.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1318 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274