× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Smakey Smakey
wrote...
10 years ago
I'm already taking AP bio as well as Ap us history(just to save time in college) and was wondering if taking chemistry before AP chem is necessary.Also, If you could suggest any other important classes I should take as a senior,as currently I'm a junior.I'm also taking Precalculus and web-designing in Queens college!
Read 627 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Most of what you take in college is too generic to be considered specifically for cardiology or obstetrics.  When you get to medical school, then will get more specific classes that involve learning about a specialty as you progress through med school.
wrote...
10 years ago
If you want the truth, it makes absolutely no difference what you take in high school as it pertains to how it will affect your medical subspecialty.  I recommend you take a senior year that interesting and challenging but manageable at the same time.

I can promise you that if you purse a career in medicine, the next dozen or so years of your life will involve more studying than you can even imagine, so my advice as someone who has been there is to try to enjoy your young life while you can.
wrote...
10 years ago
I'm in the same boat as you, sort of. I'm a junior right now and am looking into neurosurgery as my ultimate profession, so of course I structured my schedule to fit what course I was taking (a premed concentration).

A lot of it depends on where you plan to go for college. I myself am aiming quite high because of my track choice, but if the places you're looking into don't require any ap credits, than I would honestly focus on classes you can do well in.

The AP classes I'm taking this year are: AP physics, Calculus BC, and World History. Next year, I'll be taking, psychology, macroeconomics, statistics, US Government and Politics, and English Literature. I'm taking all the tests of course. In addition though, this year I will be taking the AP tests for Physics C (both), calculus bc (this includes an ab subscore, in case you didn't know), English language and composition, world history, US history, and chemistry (Total 7). And then next year I'll be taking the ones I mentioned (no others, although I'm considering microec).

For a premed concentration, you do not need all of these. I decided to forgo ap biology because a) I really can't fit it into my schedule to study up on and b) I've already taken college biology, so there's no point.

For you, ap bio, if you can is a definite. I strongly encourage ap chem and calculus (although you can just take AB) and, to make colleges pay more attention to you, physics (B test or either of the C tests is fine).

In regards to ap chem, yes, definitely. In the words of my physics teacher, "You will die" if you decide to take on ap chemistry this year without at least one year of introductory chemistry. I had ICP (intro to chem and physics) as a freshman, my dad is a chemist, I've hired a chemistry tutor, and I have 2 chem teachers helping me with studying up on chemistry (my school runs on block scheduling and doesn't offer ap chem, which is why I'm studying up on it on my own).

The bottom line, focus on science and math courses. Showing proficiency with technology is also good, and having college credits on your transcripts looks good as well. Best of luck!
wrote...
10 years ago
Hi,

Regarding taking AP Biology, chem, physics, should one retake Biology I, chem I, etc, for premed even though it's waived in college?
wrote...
10 years ago
Hi,

Regarding taking AP Biology, chem, physics, should one retake Biology I, chem I, etc, for premed even though it's waived in college?

Yes, most colleges recommend that you retake all of these actually, especially since a lot of them are considered required prerequisites for med school and they want to see that you've done well (AP grades don't usually transfer towards college gpa, only credits do)

I would advise taking bio and chem especially
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1298 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79