× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Addison J Addison J
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Addison J
From the following Shakespeare quote, “Now might I do it pat. Now he is a-praying. And now I’ll do ’t. And so he goes to heaven. And so am I revenged.—That would be scanned. A villain kills my father, and, for that, I, his sole son, do this same villain send To heaven”. When Hamlet decides to kill Claudius at a time when he's sinning, do you think he has gone this far due to his revenge scheme? And as a result of the scheme, has he changed to go somewhat mad?
Read 97 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
It's not clear what you're asking. The quote you've provided suggests how Hamlet decides not to kill Claudius while praying and confessing his sins because by doing so he'd go to heaven.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Yes, but do you think he has gotten too far or mad for what he did in this case?  since the beginning of the play, he really wanted to kill Claudius but then hesitated bc he wanted him to go to hell, which shows that he wants to make sure that nothing good should happen to him if that makes sense
I was trying to also prove that when Hamlet expresses his feelings by writing speeches/dialogues, it has led him to do irrational acts, but in this case, I thought this quote would be close enough to what I'm trying to say
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
I see this as expressing rational thought. Given that he's expressing rational thought, I wouldn't classify this is being "crazy". Remember, he's under the assumption that his dad is in purgatory for not being able to confess his sins before dying, so he wouldn't want Claudius to supersede his father.
- Bachelor of Science
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
So should I keep the overall quote, and just explain how this shows irrational thoughts, rather than irrational acts?
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
rational thoughts*
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Write it up, and I'll see if it works
- Bachelor of Science
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Okay Thanks
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Addison J
Okay sorry for the delay, but this is what I came up with after talking about the quote,
Hamlet is often seen as a logical man, his indecision in attempting to avenge himself with King Claudius appears to be delayed and affected by various considerations, in which Shakespeare discusses throughout the text.
Is this good to end off my paragraph? Or should I add more or just a closing statement?
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Hamlet is often seen as a logical man, his indecisiveness in attempting to avenge his father's death appears to be delayed throughout several moments in the play.

That's how it should be written
- Bachelor of Science
Addison J. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Okay thanks!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1301 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4