t
i
r
r
firebolt firebolt
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Ok I have an exam coming up on the polarity of molecules. we only get a periodic table and nothing else. i need help on how to determine if a molecule is polar or not.... please help. I need something rather basic. Any answers will be appreciated.
Read 293 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
BugbajaBugbaja
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
If you don't have a table with electro negativity ...

Draw a Louis structure of the compound, figure out which atoms are the most electronegative (usually the non-metals), draw arrows represent their "pull" of electrons for all and see if the arrows cancel out.

WHen i say arrows cancelling out, i mean if you got two arrows point at opposite directions, the "pull" or attraction from the atom cancels out with each other.
wrote...
11 years ago
Just draw it out. Make a bond yourself, make a molecule by writing "Na" and "Cl" and bond them together with lines. If you know how many bonds an element can make (by knowing which column they are in) then you know if there is a bond that can not be shared by the other element, therefore it would be polar.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1235 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?