a
t
i
r
cashboxz01 cashboxz01
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have literally the worst textbook ever written for genetics. It takes a simple concept and drags it over pages, which should take no longer than a couple sentences to explain. And then, it shows an example problem which has nothing to do with what I had just read. To hell with this book. Is there any good book that can show me how to solve the assigned problems? The solutions manual is 10x worse than the actual book.
Source  Genetic Analysis, Sanders
Read 1067 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Hate to say this, but I also had the exact same experience with my genetics textbook. Unfortunately, after that course and due to that textbook, I lost interest in the course and subject. As a result, I've come to believe all genetics textbooks are the same, and your review solidifies that theory.
cashboxz01 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
What should I do in my case? One example shown to me in recitation isn't enough for me. I got a 50% on my first exam, because of that. Is there any way to crack this course?
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
What should I do in my case? One example shown to me in recitation isn't enough for me. I got a 50% on my first exam, because of that. Is there any way to crack this course?

Sorry to hear that about your mark. I cracked it by finding out actual test questions. I hate to confess it, but my professor went on sick-leave half way through and, with only one class per weak, it was really hard to comprehend the material in class. Ask your teacher if s/he can post past exams. If the answer is no, then ask students who took that class before to find out what was on. If that's not available, fill one of these note request forms out: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=form;n=9

You never know who's out there.
cashboxz01 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
https://biology-forums.com...index.php?action=form;n=9

The thing that I don't get is that I have the freaking test bank and the solutions manual, but I simply don't understand the concept of how to solve the problems. The textbook doesn't show how to solve them efficiently. The solutions manual is filled with mistakes
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago

The thing that I don't get is that I have the freaking test bank and the solutions manual, but I simply don't understand the concept of how to solve the problems. The textbook doesn't show how to solve them efficiently. The solutions manual is filled with mistakes

Were the exam questions the same as the test bank questions? If so, memorize the questions and solutions Confounded Face
cashboxz01 Author
wrote...
11 years ago

Were the exam questions the same as the test bank questions? If so, memorize the questions and solutions Confounded Face

No, they weren't. the exam was completely different. The professor is smart, and tries his best to explain the material, but one example is not enough. The book has each type of problem only once as it is. And when it comes to the exam, I see a brand new type of problem that I've never seen before, and am shocked.
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, Alpha

Do not blame the textbook, blame yourself. Second, stop focusing on the negative. You have the mental capacity and the desire to learn, obviously. Have you tried talking to your teacher as opposed to solely relying on the textbook?
Post Merge: 11 years ago

No, they weren't. the exam was completely different. The professor is smart, and tries his best to explain the material, but one example is not enough. The book has each type of problem only once as it is. And when it comes to the exam, I see a brand new type of problem that I've never seen before, and am shocked.

Calm yourself, have some tea. You're not stupid. There are a limited number of genetics problems that can be assigned. Once you learn to recognize the type of problem, you will breeze through. You just need practice. What text are you currently using?

There is a method to solving genetics problems but it depends on the problem and what topic in genetics you are learning. IE. the way you solve monohybrid, dihybrid and tri crosses are different. Gene interactions make a difference.

You need to start with MEMORIZING the ratios that monoh crosses produce. You also need to memorize the different ratios of gene interactions and allelic interactions and what results those would have. With that knowledge, you can approach any problem.
Post Merge: 11 years ago

I recommend Campbell 8th or 9th for beginner genetics and intro to genetic analysis by griffiths for the more complicated stuff.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
And when it comes to the exam, I see a brand new type of problem that I've never seen before, and am shocked.

That suggests the questions are coming from another source -- don't over estimate your professor. Do you have examples of those questions by any chance?

Another thing you could do is talk to something who did very well on their exam, and see their secret. You'll be surprised.
cashboxz01 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
is talk to something who did very

The guy literally said he makes his own questions for the test. On top, the class average was a 78% for the first test, and the students who did well said they just copied the solutions for the homework and memorized the problems on the study guide. Problem is that I don't want to memorize, but want to know the concept behind the problems. I will give sample questions of what he had as soon as I get home.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
I understand your dilemma and I totally agree with you. Understanding the concepts is the best way of learning, but since you have such little time to understand these concepts, you can buy time by simply memorizing the solutions. Then, once you're on summer break, you can go back and try to actually understand the material on your own (if you feel so guilty), and so that you're not lost the next time you take a genetics course. In other words, do whatever you have to do to pass, and in this case, memorizing is important.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at the test either.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
11 years ago
would you mind posting or uploading the test bank to that book?

thx
cashboxz01 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Here is a problem which was on the test.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1340 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292