m
p
m
f
FinFan FinFan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
We have to calculate the Potential and Kinetic energy on rollercoasters we built in class. What formulas would I use? Would I have to multiply these by the friction of the track? I'm pretty confused. I saw a couple formulas out there, I just need to know the simplest ones.

A step by step process would be helpful, or quick explanation. Yes, and please answer if I would have to include the friction!

Thank you!
Read 235 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Potential Energy = mass x acceleration of gravity x height

Kinetic Energy = (1/2) mass x velocity x velocity

acceleration of gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
wrote...
11 years ago
if friction is negligible (which i'm not saying it is) then the kinetic energy comes from the initial potential energy. so potential energy is mgh, and however much that decreases kinetic energy increases so

u=mgh

k=mg(h0-h)

where h0 is initial height and h is current height. but if friction is not negligible then you have to use 1/2mv^2 for kinetic energy. to determine if friction is negligible or not just let it go and see if friction slows it down a noticeable amount, or ask your teacher he might tell you to either neglect friction or not.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  980 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?