f
j
b
c
michaii michaii
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I've got about 50-60 grams of anhydrous copper (II) (cupric) sulfate on my hands that I need to dispose of. It's in the form of a white powder. Is it safe to just wash this stuff down the drain, or is there are more regimented procedure I should follow?
Read 347 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm not sure if copper salts need to be treated as heavy metal waste, but my prelimanary judgement would be not to put it into the municipal water supply. What you could do, if you have a University near you that has a chemistry program, call and see if they may want it.

If not, you may need to contact hazmat to come pick it up.
wrote...
11 years ago
I guess that you are a high school teacher who has just done the copper pentahydrate dehydration experiment. I recommend dumping it in your household garbage, because it will go to a landfill, where it will be safe. You can recover it by dissolving it in water and evaporating the solution until crystals of CuSO4*5H2O come out. It is hard any longer to know how to do this, but there is a book that I cite, which may be available cheap on amazon.com or alibris.com.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1019 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion