a
t
i
r
Rivalz93 Rivalz93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I recently purchased 60 shares of a dividend stock with a $1.50 yield. Based on todays price it will take an average of  two quarters for my dividend to repurchase a full share. If I purchase more shares so my dividend could repurchase an additional share a quarter will my vlaue then at that point increase exponentially? In other words is there a better advantage for owning a lot of a dividend share than a little?
Read 278 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Not really. The return will be the same whether you own 60 shares or 120 shares. You also need to consider the wisdom of buying a share at a time. Even at a discount broker it would take you years to make back the commission at $1.50 a year.
wrote...
11 years ago
Certainly investing more means it compounds starting at a higher dollar amount per quarter. So dollars compound faster but the rate is the same.

As mentioned, if you  get charged a fee for each "trade" for a share of stock it is a bad idea.

Some companies have dividend reinvestment programs and they issue stock as a dividend (no fee) that gets credited to your account rather than you getting the cash and buying a "share".

I am not sure if you have to buy the stock directly from the company first or not. But google "Dividend reinvestment programs" or something like that you will find a lot of info on that.

The benefit of reinvesting dividends is you are Dollar Cost Averaging.  But I believe these days it is not like the old days when you could stick a stock in your safety deposit box for 50 years, live off the dividends, and die a millionaire.    

And realize that reinvesting dividends in more stock is a negative cash flow. You will owe tax on dividends but not get the cash.

Personally, I started out reinvesting all returns, automatically. I later realized I wanted to make the decision when it is best to invest or WHAT I wanted to invest in at the time. Things change with companies and the economy. So now all goes in to my MM account and I reinvest at will.

It compounds the same, as long as I reinvest it and don't spend it. :-)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1257 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?