a
t
i
r
riyaz riyaz
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Is there a good stock out there that pays a decent dividend, is a big major company, and will be around for ten years?
I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for yet.  I'm thinking of Chevron which has a 3.9% dividend.  Also GE has 2.9%.  I'm not so concerned about sector, just beating the money market rate which is just .3% or so.  Less than 2.5% I don't think I am interested.
PG looks interesting, 3.3%
MCD looks pretty good too.
Read 492 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Tech companies, pharmaceutical companies, oil companies. The hard work is finding which ones.
wrote...
11 years ago
The stocks you want to focus on is consumer staples, consumer discretionary, and healthcare. These are DEFENSIVE stocks that will survive through good and bad times. Most of my positions are in these stocks. Some names include 3M, Procter & Gamble, Kimberly Clark, Exxon Mobil, Walmart, Costco. Everybody's got to eat and wipe their butts regardless of the state of economy. Many of these companies survived through the Great Depression.
wrote...
11 years ago
Typically a large dividend payment should be more of a warning sign. Capital apprecation is key. A good fund is JHI this stock does not pay a dividend. However you however you typically end up to close to 10% in capital distributions. That can be reinvested very similar to a dividend. And shares that can retain most of there value in a down market. JHI is a closed end fund. Less risky.
Answer accepted by topic starter
lenny63lenny63
wrote...
Valued Member
Rep: 9 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 240 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
Some do pay relatively decent dividends--relative to what you can get in a CD or a government bond for example.  Some are even major companies. The 10 year criteria might be a problem.  Ten years ago who would have thought that GM would be gone,  AIG as good as gone.  C crippled. Not too many I would imagine.  In ten years the U S might not be in such good shape.  The last 10 years it has been sliding down an incline that is steadily getting steeper.

As of today here are your choices.  Best first.  

MCD  3.6% with usually an annual increase
JNJ   3.2% ditto
KO   3.3% ditto
PG  3.3% ditto

Those four are more likely than most to still be around in ten years.  You are getting about 10 times in dividends what you would be getting in the bank in deposits other than a CD.  Maybe 2% on a CD or a little more.  

Now there are stocks that do pay higher dividends, some as high as 8% that are reasonably sound but certainly not of the quality of those four above.  It is sort of a trade off between return and safety so to speak.  Among those in the 8% range are ETP, PAA, and MMP.   You might want to think about shifting some of your money outside of the US economy maybe.  GIM is an option in that respect.  It pays about 5.5% and the income comes from government bonds issued by other countries.  CHL is another option.  It pays about 3.4% and is the worlds largest cell phone provider in the country with the world's largest population.
wrote...
11 years ago
Forget Chevron until the Bolivia lawsuit is settled.
PG has raised their dividends each year for the past 53 years.  Hard to beat that record.
For a list of 28 dividend aristocrats (companies that have raised their dividends each year for at least the past 25 years) that have raised their dividends so far in 2009 go to:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/154290-dividend-aristocrats-ytd-raisers-vs-cutters?source=email
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1268 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352