a
t
i
r
riya3rg riya3rg
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
take for example, the problem I'm stuck on...

8 over the square root of (x minus 2).  I'm trying to solve using the difference quotient thing, but my algebra must really suck, cuz I can't figure anything out when it's got a square root in the denominator.
Read 692 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
d/dx 8/?(x-2)
(0*?(x-2) - 8/(2?(x-2)))/(?(x-2))²
(-4/?(x-2))/(x-2)
use keep, change, flip
-4/(x-2)^(3/2)
wrote...
11 years ago
Well you can take it as...
d/dx8*(x-2)^-(1/2) and do the chain rule from there.
= 8(-1/2)(1)(x-2)^(-3/2)
=-4/(x-2)^(3/2)
wrote...
11 years ago
Taking a square root of x is the same as raising x to the power of 0.5, or:

sqrt(x) = x^(1/2)

So, 8/sqrt(x-2) = 8/(x-2)^0.5 = 8*(x-2)^-0.5

Then, taking the derivative is easier.

Hint: d/dx x^a = a x^(a-1)
wrote...
11 years ago
Derivative=8*-1/2*(x-2)^(-3/2)=-4/[(x-2)^(3/2)]
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a little messy, especially with just the symbols available on a computer keyboard, but here's a general description, followed by some details:

The procedure is to
1. Write out the formula for f(x + h) and then stick the whole thing into the difference quotient.  
2.  "Simplify" by multiplying the top and bottom of the whole difference quotient by the product of the denominators in the numerator, which in this case means [sqrt(x + h - 2)] [sqrt(x - 2)].
3. Now at least you have no fractions inside the numerator or denominator.  Now rationalize the numerator by multiplying the top and bottom of the whole thing by the conjugate of the numerator (recall that the conjugate of a - b is a + b).
4.  Combine the like terms on the top, and you'll discover that h cancels out of the numerator and denominator.
5. Replace the h's in the denominator with zeros, since you're taking the limit as h approaches zero.
6.  Multiply the denominator out, which will provide some simplification for the radicals.

By the way, some books use "delta x" where I'm talking about h.  They're the same thing.

f(x+h) in this case is 8 / [sqrt(x+h-2)], and of course f(x) = 8 / [sqrt(x - 2)]

If you take the difference quotient and then multiply the numerator and denominator by the product
[sqrt(x + h - 2)] [sqrt(x - 2)], then you get:

{8 [sqrt(x - 2) - sqrt(x + h - 2) ] } / [h sqrt(x + h - 2) sqrt (x - 2)]

Now you rationalize the numerator by multiplying the numerator and denominator by [sqrt(x - 2) + sqrt (x + h - 2)].  This will give you a difference of squares on top, and so the result is

{8 [x - 2 - (x + h - 2) ] } / { [ h sqrt(x + h - 2) sqrt (x - 2) ] [ sqrt(x - 2) + sqrt(x + h - 2) ] }
or
(-8h) / { [ h sqrt(x + h - 2) sqrt (x - 2) ] [ sqrt(x - 2) + sqrt(x + h - 2) ] }
Now the h's cancel, so we get
-8 / { [ sqrt(x + h - 2) sqrt (x - 2) ] [ sqrt(x - 2) + sqrt(x + h - 2) ] }

if we now take the limit as h approaches 0, we get

-8 / { [x - 2] [ 2 sqrt (x - 2) ] }
or
-8 / [2 (x - 2)^(3/2)]
or
-4 / (x - 2)^(3/2)
or
-4 [ (x - 2)^(-3/2) ]

(and if you already know the Chain rule, then you can see that this is the answer you're supposed to get.  If you haven't learned the chain rule yet, then you can look forward to it with great anticipation, because once you learn it you'll never have to do this again!)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1222 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?