d
a
g
j
Smitty Smitty
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Cu(OH)2 solid + 2HClO4 ---->>Cu(ClO4)2 aqueous + 2H2O liquid                                              im confused on what to do for the net ionic because i thought you couldn't split solids into their ions(dissociate them) so if you can't split them i can't just write 2H+ ---->> 2H2O liquid please give me the net ionic and explain why that is the answer
Read 2409 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Perchloric acid (HClO4) is aqueous so when this is added to the copper (II) hydroxide (Cu(OH)2) it does dissociate into Cu+2 and 2OH- ions. The net ionic equation is 2H+ + 2OH- Rightwards Arrow 2H2O.

P.S. you can also write Cu(ClO4)2 aq as Cu+2 and 2ClO4-. I prefer this notation because the aqueous ions are not actually together and this way aqueous is implied - you dont have to write "aq."
Answer accepted by topic starter
TonjiaTonjia
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 200 words.