a
t
i
r
sundar83 sundar83
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
6 years ago
a. What are the major advantages of the use of observation versus surveys as a retail research technique?
b. Outline the steps involved in implementing an observation-based retail research study.
Textbook 
Retail Management: A Strategic Approach

Retail Management: A Strategic Approach

Edition: 12th
Authors:
Read 193 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
8 months ago
a.

Observation and surveys are two different research techniques that can be used in retail research. Observation is a data collection technique that relies on both the direct and indirect gathering of information about a subject. It is the process by which businesses collect empirical data on consumers. It can be facilitated one of three ways: by human observation, through online tracking or via a remote device.

The advantages of observation research are that it helps negate many types of bias and much of the subjective interpretation that comes with people self-reporting “facts.” Basic psychology reveals that people remember and relay things in different ways. We all forget and/or embellish our narratives, catering to our audience and adding or eliminating details based on when and where and to whom we’re speaking. This makes it difficult to get truly accurate and honest information. Observational research, however, allows us to see what people do, not just hear about it. Researchers can witness a subject’s natural behavior without having to interpret intent or having to always rely on explicit consent or buy-in from subjects in order to garner results. Finally, it limits some types of research biases, such as those stemming from a subject’s misunderstanding of research questions, as well as their aforementioned inability to give fully objective feedback (i.e., error recall).

Surveys are more objective than observation because they are structured questionnaires that are designed to elicit specific information from respondents2. Surveys are frequently more affordable than observation research and can help companies understand why consumers act in a certain way, not just that they do. Surveys are usually more sensible for companies needing more information more quickly.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

b.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1264 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292