e
s
s
e
mzhottchoc mzhottchoc
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
I did an experiment looking at the effect of the structure of substrate on the rate of the reaction. What would be the best way to label my chart?

Also can someone give me an idea on how to answer these questions?

What was your null hypothesis? be specific

What was your alternative hypothesis? be specific

What were the main trends or patterns in your data?

What were the important results relative to your hypotheses?
[/font]
[/font][/color]
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 2403 times
8 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I see you have time as your independent variable (x) and that's typically true. Your error margins are quite large, I'm not sure if that's acceptable, but you go with what you got (otherwise, play around with your results until they look presentable Wink Face after all, it is undergrad.). Remove those things in your legend that say (linear blah blah, the bottom three; they should be in your legend). On your y-axis label, make sure you include "Concentation of Substrate", if that's what it is.

Pretty much as time increases, substrate concentrations decreases because the substrates are binding to the enzyme, thereby decreasing the concentration of free substrate in the medium.

Finally, these two depend on what test you used (i.e. Pearson's, ANOVA).

A null hypothesis is a hypothesis set up to be nullified or refuted in order to support an alternative hypothesis. When used, the null hypothesis is presumed true until statistical evidence in the form of a hypothesis test indicates otherwise. Usually the alternate hypothesis is the possibility that an observed effect is genuine. We denote the null hypothesis as H0 and the alternative hypothesis as Ha or H1 .The final conclusion once the
test has been carried out is always given in terms of the null hypothesis. We either “reject H0 in favour of H1 ” or “do not reject H0 ”; we never conclude “reject H1 ”, or even “accept H1 ”.

Null Hypothesis ( H0 )

If the original claim includes one of (≤,=,≥), it is the null hypothesis. If the original claim does not include one of
(≤,=,≥) then the null hypothesis is the complement of the original claim. The null hypothesis always includes the
equal sign.

Alternative Hypothesis ( H1 or Ha )

Statement which is true if the null hypothesis is false. The type of test (left, right, or two-tail) is based on the
alternative hypothesis which will include one of (<,≠,>).
mzhottchoc Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi BioLove thanks for responding. I made changes to my chart so its looks much better. But I'm still a little confused with the questions I'm starting to dislike bio lab each question must be a paragraph  so I was trying to add stuff to make it long not sure if it make any sense. I'm beginning to get stressed out.

Lab Topic: Substrate Structure

H0 =Structure will not change. There will be no reaction or change in  the structure of cathecol, resorcinol, or hydroquinone  because the enzymes will not react well or bind to the substrate; thus the structure will remain the same

Ha: The substrate structure will change because the enzyme will binds with the substrate to become an enzyme substrate which therefore it will make the concentration of the substrate decrease.

The main trends show that as time increases the substrates concentration decreases. I think that the potato enzymes are causing the substrates to react slower; therefore, it must affect the concentration decreases the concentration of the solution.

What were the important results relative to your hypotheses? I have no idea

Figure or Table of final, not raw data.

Thanks so much you have no idea how much I appreciate it Slight Smile
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
mzhottchoc, is it really necessary to include the lines of best fit?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
The x-axis should say:

Time (seconds) - Not: Time measured in seconds.
mzhottchoc Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Yes the trend lines are necessary.

However I also Have to turn in some information about the data.
which have to be a paragraph per question I'm not sure If I've answered them correctly. could you check over my answers?

Lab Topic: Effect Of Substrate Structures on the rate of reaction

What was your null hypothesis? be specific Neutral Face

H0 =Structure will not change. There will be no reaction or change in  the structure of cathecol, resorcinol, or hydroquinone  because the enzymes will not react well or bind to the substrate; thus the structure will remain the same

Ha: The substrate structure will change because the enzyme will binds with the substrate to become an enzyme substrate which therefore it will make the concentration of the substrate decrease.

What were the main trends or patterns in your data?  Neutral Face

The main trends show that as time increases the substrates concentration decreases. I think that the potato enzymes are causing the substrates to react slower; therefore, it must affect the concentration decreases the concentration of the solution.

What were the important results relative to your hypotheses? Neutral Face Neutral Face Neutral Face

Figure or Table of final, not raw data.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago

I think it should be (The rate of reaction will not change)

and the alternative, The rate of reaction will change ... in the presence of so and so...
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
13 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free