a
t
i
r
nini07 nini07
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
A friend was told by someone that if she took VITMAIN C for 10 days she could end her pregnancy.
They told her to take 1000mg every hr of vitamin C. How can this really work? she is 10 days late on her menstrual and has 3 confirmed pregnancy tests.
will it cause fetus defects if unsuccessful? i'm telling her to seek medical advise but refuses.
Read 3857 times
8 Replies
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, biology101
Undecided Whoa, this is quite dangerous and other measures should be taken immediately; if the child isn't aborted by now, high doses of any synthetic mineral or vitamin is dangerous while pregnant. The whole idea that taking high doses of vitamin C could end pregnancy came from a study conducted on rats - not humans. A study like that on humans would obviously be unethical. So, in the study conducted on rats, during the first month of pregnancy, it was found that high doses of vitamin C may suppress the production of progesterone from the corpus luteum. Progesterone, necessary for the maintenance of a pregnancy, is produced by the corpus luteum for the first few weeks, until the placenta is developed enough to produce its own source. By blocking this function of the corpus luteum, high doses of vitamin C (1000+ mg) are theorized to induce an early miscarriage. Taking this idea to mind, it was found that in a group of spontaneously aborting women at the end of the first trimester, the mean values of vitamin C were significantly higher in the aborting group than in nonaborting women. However, this could not be interpreted as an evidence of causal association. But, in a previous study of 79 women with threatened, previous spontaneous, or habitual abortion, 91% success with 33 patients who received vitamin C together with bioflavonoids and vitamin K (only three abortions), whereas all of the 46 patients who did not receive the vitamins aborted.

That's the theory behind it, now my medical advice. Firstly, your friend is very uninformed and is using the internet not how it is supposed to be used. She should speak to a doctor in case she has caused damage to the fetus (to me, that should be a criminal offence) and she should be imprisoned. Nextly, luckily for her, vitamin C is water soluble so if she is fortunate, a lot of those vitamins she has been consuming were excreted out in her urine.

Good luck!
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, nini07
She hasnt started taking it yet, she called me first since I;m a nursing student but i couldnt help her cause I never heard of this. she said her period was supposed to start on the 15th and took a pregnancy test last night. So someone told her to use vitamin C but to me it sounds risky  Neutral Face
i know vitamin C is good to pregnant women but in high dosages i'm not sure what it can do to the fetus. She said that she wont go abort at a clinic in case the vitamin C with 5 days later adding dong quai dont work....i do know that the dong quai is dangerous.
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
12 years ago
She hasnt started taking it yet, she called me first since I;m a nursing student but i couldnt help her cause I never heard of this. she said her period was supposed to start on the 15th and took a pregnancy test last night. So someone told her to use vitamin C but to me it sounds risky  Neutral Face
i know vitamin C is good to pregnant women but in high dosages i'm not sure what it can do to the fetus. She said that she wont go abort at a clinic in case the vitamin C with 5 days later adding dong quai dont work....i do know that the dong quai is dangerous.

Nini, thanks for the update. Well let her know about the research and do whatever you can to save that unborn child. This is your time to shine as a supportive, yet knowledgeable friend.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
This thread is awesome, never knew about this. It's amazing how much you can learn if everyone shares their knowledge.
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
I did some research on it and there are many people that claim it works. My recommendation as a soon to be nurse was to go to the nearest planned parenthood and get the "abortion pill" I'm neutral on the abortion subject because of my profession. Sometimes abortions are necessary such as: rape, failure of birth control, medical issues (ex i knew someone that got pregnant while on end stages of CANCER), ect.
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Interesting... How does the pill work exactly?
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
STEP ONE — THE ABORTION PILL
Your health care provider will give you the abortion pill at the clinic. You will also be given some antibiotics to start taking after the abortion pill.

The abortion pill works by blocking the hormone progesterone. Without progesterone, the lining of the uterus breaks down, and pregnancy cannot continue.

STEP TWO — MISOPROSTOL
You will take a second medicine — misoprostol. It causes the uterus to empty.

You and your health care provider will plan the timing and place for the second step. You'll take the second medicine up to three days after taking the abortion pill. Your health care provider will give you instructions on how and when to take the second medicine.

The second medicine — misoprostol — will cause you to have cramps and bleed heavily. Some women may begin bleeding before taking the second medicine. But for most, the bleeding and cramping begin after taking it. It usually lasts a few hours. You may see large blood clots or tissue at the time of the abortion.

More than half of women abort within four or five hours after taking the second medicine. For others, it takes longer. But most women abort within a few days.

It's normal to have some bleeding or spotting for up to four weeks after the abortion. You may use sanitary pads or tampons. But using pads makes it easier to keep track of your bleeding.

HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
The abortion pill works by blocking the hormone progesterone. Without progesterone, the lining of the uterus breaks down, and pregnancy cannot continue.

Rob, there's your answer. Thanks, Nini.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1261 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?