a
t
i
r
asimon33 asimon33
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
There is this science question that asked if it was possible for lipase to break down maltase. I know it is impossible but I was just wondering if it was possible for an enzymes to break each other down. #JustCurious Oh yeah my gf said its a good question so I'm kinda happy Slight Smile
Read 367 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
There is a whole class of enzymes the break down proteins called the Proteases. Since enzymes are proteins, there must be proteases that can break them down.
wrote...
10 years ago
The enzymes are very selective from material, temp., medium, pH points of view. Thus maltase acts only on maltose, not on lactose ! beta glycosidases attack only beta  sugar linkages, in their optimum conditions ! Protein enzymes are equally selective - they ignore sugars .
But enzymes contain several bonds, including sugar & peptide links. They may get affected by other suitably acing enzymes. But our bio systems are so unique that they are very effectively isolated. Also the pH  & other factors decides the final  reactions & products .
This Q is quite thought provoking : imagine your dream enzyme starts splitting a maltase, & that maltase has ability to attack lipase under identical conditions ! - it can complicate the set up, thank God , Nature avoids this !
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1236 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352