a
t
i
r
Darramz Darramz
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I have created 4 microorganisms. You wouldn't believe what I used instead of DNA!

Ammonia gas! And instead of ribosomial RNA I used crystals of ammonium bicarbonate!

I have created the cytoplasm from a slime made of paraffin wax boiled in vegetable oil

The microorganisms looked exactly like they should (spherical) but they didn't replicate
_______

I did not include DNA and proteins
I tried to see if life can form from other chemicals than DNA and proteins on other planets
Read 353 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
You probably forgot to include phosphorase necessary for polymerase-a.
wrote...
10 years ago
Lol, its very simple. NOTHING can replicate without DNA. It is the basis of "life"
wrote...
10 years ago
I hope you are wasting your own money on these ill-conceived and pointless experiments.  I can't see how any of these ideas would amount to anything that would pass grant review to be funded.   The simplest explanation is that you are giving a fictional account.  

Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work.  Perhaps estimating the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin, or selling heath tonics would be more up your alley.

Lastly, your negative results are not positive data that life arose magically.  I just thought you should know so you can find a more productive use of your time.
wrote...
10 years ago
I think you actually need to read up on the theory of Abiogenesis and the various stages that convert simple inorganic molecules into complex proteins and RNA.
wrote...
10 years ago
What qualities of life did they have for you to suspect that they were alive?  Reproduction is a big one--if it can't reproduce, it's generally not considered to be alive in the first place.  This is one reason that we do not consider viruses to be alive: they need the machinery of a living organism to reproduce.

If anything, it seems like you could have created some sort of nonliving mycelles or liposomes, and even that is not likely from your rough experimental outline.

I am also presuming that you are asking this question with good intent.  Can you give us a little more information about your education level and where you are performing these experiments and with what equipment?  If you are a younger person who is doing the best he/she can with limited availability of resources, then I say "Good for you!"  You have the right spirit to be a good scientist!  You only need a little more education and training.  But you are on the right path . . . peer-review, which I suppose Yahoo Answers can be considered, is very intense, often not very kind, but it is necessary.  Accept criticism, don't let it destroy your spirit of inquiry, and continue the good work!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1252 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion