× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
fieryice271 fieryice271
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
How did that first organism live long enough to evolve the necessities for reproduction???

And if this is a rather ignorant question, could you show me a site that will tell me all about the things I should have known before asking this question?
Read 433 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The first organisms were procharyotes (bacteria).  Bacteria then much like bacteria today reproduce asexually meaning they just split into 2 new cells.  Prior to living organisms, organic molecules were reproducing by themselves (principle of self assembly).  This was the case for a molecule call RNA which has been shown in laboratory experiments to still have this function today.  Asexual reproduction basically evolved from the principle of self assembly; exactly how is still a topic of debate.
wrote...
11 years ago
Individual molecules will self-replicate on their own by acting like self-templates. Such molecules as RNA and some enzymes have been shown to self replicate in conditions set to simulate conditions on the early Earth.

There would have been no complexities of later cell division - the RNA would simply have inscreased in number inside a simple "bubble" of lipid (a liposome) until it burst the liposome and formed two or more daughter liposomes.

There was therefore no necessity for it to "evolve" any particular mechanism during its life. Evolution does not take place during the life of any organism - evolution takes place between one generation and the next.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1278 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352