× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ike210 ike210
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I haven't forgotten how to solve simultaneous equations, but I'm not sure which methods I learned in college and which in high school.  I recall solving them by graphing, elimination with addition/subtraction, Cramer's Rule and substitution.  I've also been told that some high schools now teach Gaussian elimination (I didn't learn that till college). Are there any other methods typically taught in high schools for solving linear simultaneous equations?  Thanks
Read 364 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
elimination and substitution
wrote...
11 years ago
At my high school they use graphing, elimination, and substitution, so it's basically the same things you mentioned. They also teach us how to use the TI-83 calculator to solve them with a matrix. And we also learned how to solve them by hand with elementary row operations (typically for the ones with three variables).
wrote...
11 years ago
Graphing, substitution, and elimination are usually taught in high school. Cramer's Rule and Gaussian elimination usually show up in college, and require a knowledge of matrices. I cannot think of any other method taught at the high school level, besides by inspection or trial and error.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1274 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586