s
a
t
i
r
smileylady6770 smileylady6770
wrote...
10 years ago
Which techniques are used to determine the age of fossils?

A. Radioisotope dating
   B. Electron microscopy
   C. Particle acceleration
   D. Relative dating by comparison to index fossils
   E. Paleontology
Read 385 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
A and D and maybe E
wrote...
10 years ago
A also called as radio carbon dating
wrote...
10 years ago
A (Carbon-14) for ages less than 10 thousand years.
In general, D.
wrote...
10 years ago
A. The isotope Carbon-14 is used because it is radioactive.
wrote...
10 years ago
Usually A or D. Very rarely you might use B in the process but its no good on its own as a dating system. Never C. E is an area of study not a technique. Don't listen to the fools telling you to use carbon dating. Most fossils are much older than 10000 years so it doesn't work.
wrote...
10 years ago
A and D definitely.  E could be the same as D, using known fossils in a layer to determine when the layer was put down and therefore approximately what age the fossil is, but I think that's covered in D.  B could be used the same way...looking for microscopic details or other fossils on or around the fossil in question to narrow down the age.  C is most likely not the answer.  I would go with A and D.
wrote...
10 years ago
d
wrote...
10 years ago
Definitely A and D.

Possibly C. I can imagine some applications where electron microscopy might be used to differentiate between closely related species.

I can't for the life of me think how particle acceleration would apply and paleontology is a scientific discipline, not a technique.

By the way, radioisotope dating and radiocarbon dating are NOT synonymous. Radiocarbon dating is one type of radioisotope dating.
fewtew Author
wrote...
10 years ago
A (radioisotope dating) and D (relative dating by comparison to index fossils).
There is also Carbon -14. This method of determinging fossil ages only works with those less than 10 000 years old.
You should visit Wikipedia, the ffree encyclopedia.
wrote...
10 years ago
The definition of a fossil is organic matter that has been mineralized. This cannot occur quickly enough to allow for any sort of carbon dating, so anyone saying "A" is wrong. The answer is D and E. E is fairly general while D is more specific.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4