a
t
i
r
alatq33 alatq33
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
 Which of these are true? regarding how hydrogen ion concentration relates to energy production in oxidative phosphorylation.

1) ATP synthase provides energy in the form of ATP to actively transport H+ into the mitochondrial matrix.

2)Hydrogen ion concentration is higher in the intermembrane space than in the mitochondrial matrix.

3)ATP synthase forms a channel for hydrogen ions to enter the mitochondrial matrix and couples the energy gained from the diffusion of hydrogen ions to the formation of ATP.

4)The pH in the intermembrane space is higher than the pH in the mitochondrial.

I thought all of them would be true. But not sure about #3
Read 19272 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
2) Hydrogen ion concentration is higher in the intermembrane space than in the mitochondrial matrix.

3) ATP synthase forms a channel for hydrogen ions to enter the mitochondrial matrix and couples the energy gained from the diffusion of hydrogen ions to the formation of ATP.

4)The pH in the intermembrane space is higher than the pH in the mitochondrial.

Seem true.
alatq33 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hydrogen ions cannot freely pass through the inner mitochondrial membrane.Is that true?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
true
alatq33 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The pH in the intermembrane space is higher than the pH in the mitochondrial.

Hydrogen ion concentration is higher in the intermembrane space than in the mitochondrial matrix.

ATP synthase forms a channel for hydrogen ions to enter the mitochondrial matrix and couples the energy gained from the diffusion of hydrogen ions to the formation of ATP.

one of these is probably wrong. I can't figure out....
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
The pH in the intermembrane space is higher than the pH in the mitochondrial.

Hydrogen ion concentration is higher in the intermembrane space than in the mitochondrial matrix.

ATP synthase forms a channel for hydrogen ions to enter the mitochondrial matrix and couples the energy gained from the diffusion of hydrogen ions to the formation of ATP.

They are all correct alatq33, I can't seem to find the error; perhaps it is: The pH in the intermembrane space is higher than the pH in the mitochondrial, but not totally sure.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?