× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
nite_n_day nite_n_day
wrote...
10 years ago
During kidney dialysis, a person's blood is passed through a bath that contains several ions and molecules. The blood is separated from the dialysis fluid by a membrane that allows water, small ions, and small molecules to pass, but does not allow large proteins or blood cells to pass. What should the composition of dialysis fluid be for it to remove urea (a small molecule) without changing the blood volume (removing water from the blood)? 
Read 7201 times
2 Replies
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
For the dialysis fluid to remove urea without removing water, it should not contain urea. Because urea is a small molecule, it will diffuse through the dialysis membrane from an area of high concentration (the blood) to an area of low concentration (the dialysis fluid). To prevent an associated osmotic water movement, the dialysis fluid should have an osmotic concentration similar to that of blood plasma, but with higher concentrations of solutes such as bicarbonate ions or glucose. As urea diffuses into the dialysis fluid, glucose and bicarbonate diffuse into the blood; as a result, the solute concentrations remain in balance and no osmotic water movement occurs. 
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
nite_n_day Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks very much Grinning Face
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?