× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
fxmama fxmama
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Ok so seeing how my professor has ABSOLUTELY no idea what she is talking about and has actually confused me further, I am seeking proper advice on drawing a diploid cell during meiosis with 8 chromosomes. I have drawn out prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase hoping it is correct. I will start by explaining I have my prophase cell with 8 chromosomes in pairs (ie 2 red, 2 blue etc.) Moving to metaphase I have alligned each of the pairs on the cell equator and drew in the spindle fibers. Going into Anaphase I show the beginning of separation with spindle fibers. Telophase I show 1 set of 4 in each half of the cell connected by spindle fibers. Please explain to me if I have drawn this out incorrectly.

Thanks!
Source  campbell biology 9th edition
Read 1793 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
You start with eight chromosomes:

o o o o o o o o

They will all replicate before start meiosis I:

o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o

*The red means the replicated version. Think of these as eight pairs of x.

During meiosis I, they will begin to swap sections of DNA.

Shortly after meiosis I, they will split into separate daughter cells (similar to mitosis).

Daughter cell 1:

o o o o o o o o

Daughter cell 2:

o o o o o o o o

In meiosis 2, each daughter cell you see above will split again, making four cells in total, each with 4 chromosomes.

o o o o / o o o o

o o o o / o o o o

I hope I'm not as dumb as your proof Confounded Face
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
fxmama Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you for your reply! This does help and I have drawn out what I perceived and sent to another classmate. Thank you again!
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you for your reply! This does help and I have drawn out what I perceived and sent to another classmate. Thank you again!

Glad to help Grinning Face
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1278 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328