t
i
r
r
rist789 rist789
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Supposedly eukaryotes have both, while prokaryotes go straight from RNA transcript to mRNA. Any ideas?
Read 525 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
mRNAs (messenger RNAs) are a kind of RNA transcript. Examples of other kinds are ribosomal RNAs (which make up the catalytic parts of the ribosomes) and transfer RNAs (which link codons to corresponding amino acids). All of these types of RNAs are transcripts produced from a DNA template. Prokayotes and eukaryotes both have all three types of RNAs. I'm not sure where you heard this other definition from but I don't think it's right...
wrote...
10 years ago
I think mRNA is messenger RNA and is a copy of RNA that transfers info. I guess prokaryotes don't need it?
wrote...
10 years ago
RNA transcript is the copy of RNA from DNA (occurs in the nucleus in eukaryotes). RNA transcript goes through modifications within the nucleus before it is released into the cell as mRNA. Since there is no nucleus in prokaryotes, they just use RNA transcript.
wrote...
10 years ago
RNA transcript (pre-mRNA) is a single stranded copy of antisense strand of DNA (with U instead of T). In eukaryote transcript RNA goes through a splicing, when introns are excised from the molecule and all the exons are put together and also 3'poly(A) tail and 5'-cap are added.
Almost forgot... There are also 3' and 5' UTR (untranslated regions) that come before and after the coding sequence.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1289 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352