Top Posters
Since Sunday
topas8933 topas8933
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
What undergraduate major has the best potential to prepare a student for med school ? I was thinking about biochemistry, but if I don?t get accepted to a med school,  can I still make a living being a biochemist ? Also is biochemistry a good undergrad major if your interested in neurosurgery ?
Read 949 times
4 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
#8#8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
10 years ago
Yes, that was my major and I am now a doctor.  Organic chemistry is good too, as well as molecular biology.
wrote...
10 years ago
That's a good reasoning to look at - "can I make a living on the Plan B". You could pursue some nice things in a PhD program, but you might be better in industry rather than academia.

I know many Biochems that made it to med school, personally I am straight Biology. If you don't have time to take additional classes outside of your major and the essentialy pre-med requirements, then you might not hit some interesting high-level human-biology things, but you can do the MCAT without any of that.

From people who are currently med students, and were Bio majors, they've told me they had an easy transition to the med classes. On the other hand, that's a whole different ball game, so I doubt Bio majors will have that much of an advantage over biochem up there.
wrote...
10 years ago
Try to think about life just incase you end up not going to Med School. I know someone who got her undergrad in Nursing and then went onto Med School. 
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1203 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293