t
i
r
r
nancietee nancietee
wrote...
13 years ago
Hello!
So I was studying my biology textbook and came across some things that I don't understand...

1. During the transition step (conversion of pyruvate to acetyl CoA, a CO2 molecule is removed and an NAD+ is reduced to NADH. I understand that the CO2 part is gone, but since NAD+ is being reduced, doesn't that mean that 2 hydrogens would be removed, too? and the resulting acetate would have one hydrogen left, not three?
Here's a picture of the process:
http://access.mmhs.ca/docs/science/MMHS%20Web%20Folder/Kamla/conversiona.jpg

Also, in the citric acid cycle, when Succinyl CoA is being converted to Succinate, an oxygen is seemingly added out of nowhere. Where does it come from?
Picture: http://chemistry.gsu.edu/Glactone/PDB/Proteins/Krebs/krebs9.gif

Can someone please explain this to me? Thank you very much.
Read 1449 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
If NAD+ is being reduced, it is gained electrons. Hydrogen ions are positively charged. If the NAD+ plus molecule becomes reduced by two electrons, one electron is going to make it in NAD (no charge) and a second electron is going to make it NAD-. Now that it is negatively charged, it will attract a hydrogen ion (H+), making it into NADH.

NAD+ Rightwards Arrow NAD Rightwards Arrow NAD- Rightwards Arrow NADH

You mean the carbonyl becomes a carboxyl? When succinyl-CoA is converted to succinate, it is undergoing a chemical reaction through the hydrolytic release of coenzyme A by succinyl-CoA synthetase. The release of CoA from succinyl releases a relatively large amount of energy, leaving succinyl molecule highly charged and free to attract free hydroxyl molecules floating in the medium where the kreb cycle is occuring. Recall that water is made up of H2O; in the presence of charged molecules, some water molecules in the vicinity of the reaction chemically convert to -OH (hydroxyl molecules) - which is where the extra oxygen came from. My advice is don't look to into it - they won't ask you why on a test. Slight Smile

The reaction: GDP + Orthophosphate (Pi) + Succinyl-CoA <=> GTP + Succinate + CoA
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1231 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431