p
n
C
z
iScience iScience
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
in a table with a in all of the table with the genotypes i'm being presented with (for linkages), like this one..

the parent genotype (original genotype) is always statistically the highest. i don't understand, i thought crossing over always happened in prophase I, this data would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? if the offspring statistics match that of the parent's genotype, then it's not likely that crossing over happens many many times and then eventually comes back to to the original; it's more likely that the offspring genotypes just haven't changed at all which would imply no crossing over, but why? again, i thought all chromosomes underwent crossing over in Prophase I.

and what makes the middle gene so probablistically low when it is the only one from another chromosome? the fact that it had to undergo crossing over twice? why is this so unlikely?

also, what is the difference between complete linkage and partial linkage?

my understanding is that complete linkage is when there is a zero probability of a cross over. how can this ever be true if two genes are on one chromosome? even if the two genes are right next to each other, how can this be true?
Read 971 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
also, what is the difference between complete linkage and partial linkage?

Complete linkage describes the inheritance patterns for two genes on the same chromosome when the observed frequency for crossover between the loci is zero.

Partial linkage describes one of the inheritance patterns for two genes on the same chromosome, when the expected frequency for crossover between the loci is greater than zero but less than one. From partial linkage analysis, we can learn about the order and spacing of genes on the same chromosome.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
iScience Author
wrote...
10 years ago
but this still doesn't answer my complete linkage question. if two genes are on the same chromosome then the probability (observed frequency) should not be zero. why is there a zero probability that there is going to be a cross over between these two genes? what makes this possible?

thanks
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Thanks, Duddy...

I made a simple drawing of how I see it. I hope I'm on the right track here.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
iScience Author
wrote...
10 years ago
sorry.. i still don't get it. i don't see why paired homologous chromosomes will not cross between. can you elaborate on your drawing?
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
sorry.. i still don't get it. i don't see why paired homologous chromosomes will not cross between. can you elaborate on your drawing?

From what I'm understanding, the reason why there is a "zero chance" is because crossing-over takes place between homologous chromosomes. Crossing-over doesn't occur between sister chromatids.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
@iScience

Does this help answer your question? What did you end up discovering?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  973 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?