f
j
b
c
tqueen2169 tqueen2169
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Theres an equation I have been given to calculate activation energy in KJ mol-1 which is-  ln(K2/K1) = (Ea/R)(T2-T1)/(T2T1)

I have the values of K1 and K2 and T1 and T2 however I dont understand how to use this equation as Ea is part of the equation.  I would be very grateful if someone could explain how I use this formula to work out the activation energy.
Thank you.
Read 390 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
To solve
\(ln(\frac{{{K}_{2}}}{{{K}_{1}}}) = \frac{{{E}_{a}}}{R}*\frac{{{T}_{2}}-{{T}_{1}}}{{{T}_{2}}{{T}_{1}}}\)
for activation energy, you would multiply both sides by RT2T1 and then divide both sides by (T2 - T1).  The result:

\(\frac{R*{{{T}_{2}}*{{T}_{1}}}*ln(\frac{{{K}_{2}}}{{{K}_{1}}})}{({{T}_{2}}-{{T}_{1}})} = {{E}_{a}}\)

I believe for this you would use 8.3144621 J K−1mol−1 as the value of R, the gas constant.

If I am not understanding the question, please let me know.  But as far as I can tell, if you have K1, K2, T1, T2, and R, you should be able to plug this into the derived equation and obtain the activation energy, Ea
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1205 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?