a
t
i
r
iScience iScience
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
what is/are the general name/s of the surface markers that allow the immune system to recognize a particular cell as self and not foreign? for RBCs, it's the blood types, but for all other cells, what marker tells the immune system that it's of the individual's and not foreign?

also, what happens if these markers are no longer present? what happens?

thanks
Read 349 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Tricky question. Every tissue type has its own special markers. In fact, numerous cell surface markers are now identified (over 220!) I can't quite remember from years ago, but I recall that every person has a unique marker expressed on every cell of their body. When immune system cells are created, they go through this process that desensitizes them from attacking cells that possess this marker. In HIV, for example, the virus camouflages itself in normal cells so that the immune system doesn't illicit a response. If cells lack this marker, for whatever reason, the immune system will illicit a response. Therefore, the immune system is constantly checking and circulating.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352