× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Cassidy Tuttle Cassidy Tuttle
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
We did not find results for: this activity demonstrates how DNA controls the synthesis of proteins. Proteins are made up of a chain of of amino acids. You are determine the original DNA code for part of a hemoglobin protein molecule, especially for the 3 amino acid chain of leucine- threonine- proline

Procedure:
(a) Write out the codon for each amino acid as used in the text and previous question. Label this set of 3 codons as mRNA.
(b) Above this mRNA, write out the corresponding DNA. This is the "sense strand".
(c) Above the "sense strand", write out the "anti-sense strand". (The other side of helix can also be called the complement.)

Label and record the three lines of letters.

DNA Antisense Strand:

DNA Sense Strand:

mRNA Codons:
Read 180 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Write out the codon for each amino acid as used in the text and previous question. Label this set of 3 codons as mRNA.

Information missing, Cassidy...

Please update us
Cassidy T. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi bio_man,

Here is the missing info you asked for.

mRNA Codons for leucine- UUA, UUG, CUU, CUC, CUA, CUG
mRNA Codons for threonine- ACU, ACC, ACA, ACG
mRNA Codons for proline- CCU, CCC, CCA, CCG.

I am having a hard time finding the Antisense strand and the Sense strand for leucine, threonine, proline.

Please help me.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply...

You are determine the original DNA code for part of a hemoglobin protein molecule, especially for the 3 amino acid chain of leucine- threonine- proline

The extra information you gave me isn't what I was looking for. As you see, all three amino acids have 4 or more codons, but I need to know which specific ones were provide for each.

For example, threonine can be ACU or ACC (or the two others you provided). If I were to translate these two back to DNA, it would be TGA or TGG, respectively -- notice the difference in the last nucleotide. The problem is we need to be specific, do we record TGA or TGG? 

(a) Write out the codon for each amino acid as used in the text and previous question. Label this set of 3 codons as mRNA.

Were you given the "specific" amino acid codons for leucine - threonine - proline ?

I hope I didn't confuse you. Were you given any other information as it pertains to this question?
Cassidy T. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi bio-man,

I wasnt given any specific amino acid codons and I wasnt given any other information besides to find the anti sense and the sense strand
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi Cassidy Tuttle, I happened to find the actual sequence of hemoglobin here:
The nucleotide sequence for Leu-Thr-Pro is: CTG ACT CCT, respectively. I'm going to assume that this is the one "used in the text and previous question".

Now we can start to answer the questions...

We have to translate:

CTG ACT CCT

MRNA: GAC UGA GGA

(b) Above this mRNA, write out the corresponding DNA. This is the "sense strand".

CTG ACT CCT

(c) Above the "sense strand", write out the "anti-sense strand". (The other side of helix can also be called the complement.)

GAC TGA GGA

Hope this helps
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1288 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292